WELCOME TO MY WORLD!

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!
This is a photo of one of our hamsters.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Did I mention that my university class ended?

I'm actually enjoying reading a book for pleasure again! It's a nice feeling. I picked up yet another math book, though, to try to retrain myself in math. Math, science, and geography were never my best subjects in school. I did much better with English, music, and drama. Later on, I developed a love of history.

I've had an enjoyable three days of subbing this week. I subbed a special ed. class on Monday and an ESL class on Tuesday and yesterday.

Unlike some subs, I find most admin. and teachers at schools where I sub to be very friendly to subs. Likewise, I don't take offense when a teacher asks me who I am for that day - whereas some subs feel insulted by the question. I lucked out yesterday. It was teacher appreciation week at the school and the teachers were given breakfast. As a sub, I was invited to partake, too. It was quite delicious! :-)

Sometimes I get tired of moving from school to school, class to class. When I've had a few days in the same class, I sometimes wish I could do that permanently - so I'll know what I'll be doing from day-to-day, so I get to greet the same people each day and get to know the kids better, so I don't have to rush so much in the morning to memorize emergency plans, read the sub plans and make sure I have everything I'll need for the day, make seating charts, etc. I mean, I'm good at "flying by the seat of my pants" (a requirement for this job), but sometimes I feel it'd be nice to have a workplace "home," y'know?

I have 20 some more credits left to get my undergrad. degree in English. Then I'll have to take 20 some more credits in math and science to be eligible to become a teacher. I guess all of that isn't too far away...even though I'm taking only three classes per academic year. Someday I'll make it over to the financial aid office to see if there's financial assistance available...

Can't find my eyeglasses this a.m. At this point, I don't have a sub job, so I'm not in a mad rush to locate them. I can see fine to drive my daughter to the bus stop, but I have more trouble with seeing things at a distance so I really need to find my glasses before I have to drive any farther - especially since I'm required to wear them for driving at all.

I'm sort-of angry at myself. Yesterday, I accidentally ran a stop sign in my neighborhood. That stop sign has been there for a very long time, too. I was watching for kids, but somehow I forgot about the stop sign and was past it before it hit me that I'd missed it - just in time for me to notice that a neighbor had seen it happen. I'm not a bad driver...really. But I made a mistake yesterday and I feel like kicking myself for it.

No comments: